The former Palais Bernstorff emerged as three-winged farmstead, using older foundations, the early 18th century and is now known as Schallerscher Erbenhof.
In Thuringia, baroque townhouses and palaces are usually simpler and less decorated than elsewhere. The peaceful aura of their wide, flat facades has had a lasting effect on the surrounding streets and squares, including the main building of Schaller’s Erbenhof.
As early as 1847, two staircases were added to the main building, at an angle to the side wings adjoining it to the west. At that time, the property still reached as far as Schützengasse and was bordered to the north by the trench along the former city wall (today Schillerstraße). The eastern third was taken up by the town courtyard, which at that time was enclosed on three sides, and the remaining two thirds by an ornamental garden.
It was not until the further structural densification of the inner-city area in the course of the 19th century that the western half of the site was separated and built over.
After the acquisition by the Schaller family, hence the common name “Schallerscher Erbenhof”, various conversions were carried out from the late 19th century onwards.